Renewing the Spain Residency Permit for non-EU

You want what we have? Sunny everyday Spain for more than 3 months every year?Here is how to legally be in Spain for more than 3 months with the process for renewing the visa permit.

Non-EU residents are limited to stays of 90 days or less in any 6 month period. We need a visa to be able to spend more than 3 months. I have written about the process of applying for the first visa. Here is the link.

If like us, you fall in love with Spain and want to go again, the visa has to be renewed. This time, it will be renewed for 2 years. This post will go through the whole Visa renewal process. Don’t be scared by the long list of steps and requirements. The process is seamless if you have prepared properly.


  • No criminal record: First and foremost, you must not have a criminal record in Spain and not be prohibited from entering Spain.
  • TIE in force: You must be the holder of a temporary nonprofit residence authorization (TIE) in force or be within ninety calendar days of its expiration. This authorization is issued to foreigners that have been authorized to stay in Spain for a period longer than 3 months in a 6 month period. In Spanish, the card is known as tarjeta de identidad de extranjero (TIE). It contains your information, name and surname, the period of validity, and a unique number, known as the Foreigner Identity Number, or in Spanish, Numero de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE). You need this NEI number for just about anything in Spain. It is similar to the SIN-Social Insurance Number in Canada.
  • Minimum Financial means: You must also have the financial means to cover the necessary expenses to live in Spain, in accordance with the following minimum amounts: 400% of the IPREM, plus 100% of the IPREM for each of your dependent. The IPREM is the Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator” or Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples in Spanish. The IPREM figure is reviewed annually and has only increased twice in the last 10 years, with 2021 seeing the first rise since 2017. For 2021, the IPREM is €6,778.80. So, this means that if you are a couple, you will need €6,778.80 x 400% + 100% for a spouse x 2 years. You will therefore need €67,788 in liquid savings or proof of regular monthly income which will add up to this figure for the 2 year renewal period.
  • Proof of financial means: You need to show proof of this income or savings from a financial institution located in Spain or if from another country, the proof will have to be Apostilled and translated to Spanish. In Canada, we use Legalization Service Center in Ottawa. The cost is about $300 or €200 and the turn around time is about 10 days. For translation, we used Barry True, located on the costa del sol, who does everything efficiently by email for about 40€ for a short one page translation. We simply obtained a letter from our financial advisor stating the monthly retirement income withdrawals we make from our investment account and our overall investments balance. We had that letter notarized and Apostilled and this was accepted for our first application as well as the renewal. If you want to make your life easier, you can also simply transfer the minimum funds require to a Spanish Bank and you will avoid the notary and legalization fees.
  • Health Insurance: You must also have secured private health insurance contract with an insurer authorized to operate in Spain. I have written a blog post on the subject which you can find here.
  • Proof of minimum 180 days stay in Spain: You must also have spent a minimum of 180 days in Spain from the residence permit date. Please note that there is another type of Visa called the Golden Visa which does not have the minimum number of days requirement. I will write a post on the subject soon.


Note: In general, copies of documents must be provided and originals must be presented at the time of submitting the application. They require the forms and documents to be present in this order.

  1. Application form EX-01 in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreigner. This form can be obtained here
  2. Passport with a minimum validity of one year.
  3. Full copy of the passport. They need to confirm that you spent 180 days in Spain.
  4. Documentation proving the availability of livelihoods for the period requested as mentioned above.
  5. Proof of medical insurance.
  6. Proof of where you live while in Spain. An original copy of the “Padron” certificate is the best document. The Padrón Municipal de Habitantes, is a municipal register or census record, similar to an electoral roll which you can obtain at your city hall.
  7. Fee for paid within 10 business days of submission of the application at a Spanish bank. Here is the link to the required form Model 790 code 052. You can pay online or at a Spanish Bank. Last time the fee for Malaga province was 19.22€
  8. Two photos size width 26mm x Height 32mm

PROCESS summary

  • Submit your documents in person or online
  • Upon receipt of your approval, book an appointment for your finger prints at the Comisaría de Policía
  • Give your digital prints at the comisaría de policía
  • Book an appointment to pick up your TIE card
  • Pick up your card
  • Celebrate!

PROCESS in more details

Once you have all documents, you must present the document in person with prior appointment at the Immigration Office in the Spain province in which you reside or submit it using your Spanish Digital Certificate . You can also hire a legal representative called a Gestor in Spanish to represent you in this process. However, during covid, you must go to the appointment on your own, you can not go with your representative right now. We do not use a gestor. It is simple enough to do on your own if you are comfortable with forms, bureaucracy and the internet. If not, hire a gestor who will hold your hand in the process. Here is the link for the Immigration office where you find the location of the office in your region and can book an appointment. Application deadline: during the 60 calendar days prior to the expiration date of the authorization. It can also be requested within 90 days after the date on which the validity of the authorization had ended.

It usually takes one month to get your approval response. You can check online here for the status of your application.

Once you receive your approval letter, you will need to book an appointment for your finger prints. Here is the link to book an appointment.

You will have to book an appointment when your card is ready. It is usually ready after 45 days.

Pick up your card at the same Police statement where you did your finger prints.

Here is the source of my information and link to the Spanish Government immigration website which content all the requirements and forms. Link to Government website containing all information and forms

One Comment Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s